Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I have Conquered!!!!

Today I rode in the RAIN!!!! I've been taking the bike to work, and they always call for a chance of showers when the heat and humidity are up there.....so whatever...you can't plan your day around the weather down here cause you just never know. Well,,,it ended up raining this afternoon & I decided I needed to experience the rain thing anyway,,,so why not just do it now. If it was really horrible, Frank was home & knew I was on my way, so he could always come out with the truck & ride the bike home for me. I knew of course that THAT was not happening. I was NOT whimping out - after all, it was only rain. It was wet, but uneventful which was fine with me. I did hit a pretty bad downpour for the last 2 mile stretch home - but it was the home stretch, so I let out a Woo hooo...and ducked behind the windshield for a bit of shelter til I pulled into the driveway and my awaiting hubby. At last,..he could breathe again.
I gotta say the ride in the rain was MUCH easier than my tempo run yesterday!!! I did a mile warm up, 3 miles at a 8:27 pace and then a mile cool down.(9:30) holy cow it just about kicked my ass!!! What was THAT about?? Just keeping that pace for 3 miles was HARD!!!! I was almost gonna stop at 2,,but then I'd have felt like a loser for quitting at 2 when my plan was for 3, so I kept it up and I DID IT!!! The problem with that is I know I can do it now...so I've set the bar. I guess that's a good thing though. It'll keep me from slacking in the future. :) My 5K PR is 25+ - I remember it was better than an 8:15 pace.... running at 8:30 is a 26:25 5K -- that's pretty slow for me, so why did I feel like I was sprinting that first mile???? Maybe because it was my first tempo like that??? I don't know, but it can only get easier from now on right?? I'm certain it's not because Im a few years older than that PR. Tomorrow will be just a couple easy miles with a couple of miles on the bike. Thursday is Speed Day! 400-meter repeats/400m recovery. yikes..I'm already scared. Meantime, I haven't even registered for a race yet!!!! I know I'm running the Enmark River Bridge Run in Savannah Dec 6. and the Tybee marathon and half marathon is in Feb. I'd LOVE to do the marathon, but hoped to do a half in the fall. The one in Jax in Oct was rescheduled for Dec. so I'm not sure what I'm doing now. Still keeping up my training though.

No comments: