Saturday, July 19, 2008

Welcome to Southern Oasis

Thanks to Elizabeth, we finally have a name for our home in the south. It has been Chez Desmond for lack of a new name with some kind of southern flair, but after describing our backyard as a hidden oasis in the south, she came up with "Southern Oasis" which I think is great. I'll post a little movie clip later this afternoon for anyone who hasn't seen it. I've been chasing the wildlife for the past couple of days & come up with some cute shots. (yeah I know,,,what else is new) (~& just FYI - all the pics are clickable - they are pretty cool when they are bigger) Some of the little critters are just too dang fast for me catch on camera, but I managed to get these guys. They're all soooo cute! The tree frog is hanging out on one of the stakes in the tomato garden - on a nasty looking tomato plant I may add. I was picking cherry tomatoes right next to him and he was just watching me. It's just incredible how loud they are at night. I can't even imagine how many frogs are living in the pond - last year we had plenty of tadpoles. The chase was on here for the chameleon and the skink...in a second they were both gone...Love these little posers. This morning there were 2 flowers in the pond. One of my water lilies has mottled pads which are pretty cool. I'm just so happy with all the flowers I've gotten this season. And yes, that's a philodendron that I got sick of inside - its growing all over the place in the backyard now - around the pond, behind the shed...I think it's quite happier outside than in which also makes Frank happy . The rocks around the fountain are home to 5 different lizards (that I've seen so far) - now THEY are fast!!! I spotted a Painted Bunting at the feeder earlier, but I couldn't get a decent shot of him. They are beautiful - the first time I saw one I thought someones parrot had escaped. Well, I guess I'll go out and see if I can get a panoramic of the backyard for y'all.

No comments: