Sunday, April 5, 2009

Coffee & Hummingbirds with my Sunday paper

Yes, they're here already! Our Hummingbirds arrived on April 2nd this year. I put the feeders out as soon as we got back from NY - wow we had a mess to clean up after having 4+ inches of rain & wind while we were gone. Apparently it didn't stop the birds from traveling. As I type there are 2 males vying for prime space at the feeder - they don't like to share - at all! - males are very territorial. Now Ginger is whining at the back door since the other feeders are full of birds too. We've had lots of Goldfinches this spring. I've been keeping the thistle full, but they're also loving the sunflower seeds. Ginger happens to be very territorial about the entire yard --- no birds, no squirrels and DEFINITELY NO CATS!!!!! I didn't see the cat in the yard one day & she took off like a bullet - she got the cat too....it wasn't pretty - pinned him (or her?) to the ground but didn't know what to do with it afterwards, so it got loose. I had gotten to her by that point and the cat just hung out on the top of the fence for a while wondering what the hell just happened. Needless to say we've NEVER seen him in or near the house again. The birdies & fish are as happy about that as Ginger & I.

No comments: