Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Sunny Day in the Garden

Don't let her fool you - she's ALWAYS getting into trouble!!
Yesterday I think we hit 80 degrees...Finally!!!! I'm sure we'll get cool again, but it was wonderful being in shorts and a tank working in the yard. We even had our first cold ones of the summer while building another raised bed. (and yes, we also got our first color of the summer - gardener's tan)
Frank had a great idea to help solve our ongoing drainage problem along the back fence. He's going to put in yet another drain and then we'll lay down landscape cloth & river rock around a couple more raised beds. He built them already & one has been filled with mulch and planted. They are both 12 x 4. We hung supports & I planted sugar snaps, oregon sugar pods & some other pod peas I bought in the hardware store - they scooped them from a big bin and weighed them..guess if you're planting huge gardens like they do down here it's a much more economical way to go. Last year they produced like crazy!

A work in progress



Ginger supervised all day of course. She hates the wheelbarrow and tries to bite the tires.

Spinach, mesclun & bibb lettuce were started too. Today I'll put in my beets & swiss chard. They all start in cool weather. Everything else has been started in jiffys inside. Can't wait for a garden grown tomato!!!

No comments: