Sunday, March 2, 2008

5 LONG miles..

OMG I'm feeling incredibly out of shape right now... I know I'm really not - I've been doing my yoga and step classes @ the gym & weight training a bit, but thats VERY different from hitting the pavement for a 5 mile run. I haven't been running for almost a month because of my allergies, weather, and basically just making up lame-ass excuses for not getting my butt out there. Last time I did the loop thru the park I felt terrible, so I just hit the gym. oh, the treadmill?? yuk. Anyway, today I thought I'd run along the river and do a nice, easy out and back - hopefully 5 miles. The first mile was grueling... I kept having to tell myself "just a little further,,,just to the mile mark, just to the bend" and so on...then when I hit my 2 mile point I felt like I'd be whimping out if I didn't just go to the 2.5 point and do my turnaround for UGH!! THE 2 1/2 MILES BACK!!!! What was I thinking? -but I did it. Just had to talk myself thru it...YOU CAN DO IT ! I have learned that I don't think I can, I know I can, and then I always do. I can hear Eli telling me that when I don't want to listen to myself. Of course, when I was finished I felt awesome & proud that I did what I set out to do. I guess maybe the "grueling" first mile was not as bad as I thought & I'll continue to play those little games with myself to get thru my runs some days. I think it just comes with the territory. At least I'm once again looking forward to my next run.

No comments: