Friday, July 24, 2009

How does my garden grow.....

I threw these watermelon seeds in my flowerbed with some of the herbs - due to lack of space anywhere in the veggie garden - and didn't think they'd grow. We've already got 2 decent sized watermelons in there....
Seedless watermelons growing in the old herb garden

The pond is incredibly happy these days. Even though it's a bit overgrown with algae and lily pads, there are tons of water lily flowers, the irises bloomed like crazy, the fish are multiplying daily - or so it seems - and there are more frogs than ever!!!! That water hyacinth is huge!!! Must be those little fertilizer pellets I stuck in the soil a month ago.... yikes! I can hardly think about the number of tadpoles I'm going to have in there in just a little bit. Fortunately I haven't seen any snakes or skins around the rocks like last year. I found several shedded skins in the fall, and I'm sure he was well fed hanging out in our yard.
This is one of the plants I rescued when I did a clean up day at The LaConte Woodmanston Plantation last year. The gardens were so overgrown!!! I came home with a truckful of mystery plants. Love this one. Pretty sure its a Rose of Sharon or something from the Hibiscus family??

The Gardenias are blooming again. Can't remember if they bloomed twice last year, but I like it!!!! They smell sooo yummy. I'd like to plant some in the front of the house but think it may be too sunny for them. I'll have to look into that. Would be nice to smell them when I'm front porch sittin'.

No comments: